"ok i finally found sprinting tips..."
7 Tips & Tricks for the High School Track Athlete
by Coach Frank Pucher
Note: Although this article is written by a runner and is directed towards runners on race day, the same thoughts apply to throwers and jumpers on meet day. Put these 7 tips to work for you and focus-in on improvement and success!
1) For morning races, always eat something on race day. Some toast or a bagel with some peanut butter is an excellent race day breakfast. A POWERBAR is another good choice. Be sure to drink 8-10oz of water with breakfast 2-3 hours before race time.
by Coach Frank Pucher
Note: Although this article is written by a runner and is directed towards runners on race day, the same thoughts apply to throwers and jumpers on meet day. Put these 7 tips to work for you and focus-in on improvement and success!
1) For morning races, always eat something on race day. Some toast or a bagel with some peanut butter is an excellent race day breakfast. A POWERBAR is another good choice. Be sure to drink 8-10oz of water with breakfast 2-3 hours before race time.
2) Try to avoid soda or sugary drinks on days when you have races - they will NOT help your performance. Water works best. Even Gatorade should be diluted with water. Did you know that Gatorade isn't helpful unless the race is longer than 1 hour?
3) Runners have worries. Every runner on the starting line usually asks "does my ankle
hurt?", "is my knee aching?" or "am I getting a cold?" Don't worry - when you out-sprint another runner to the finish, somehow, that all seems to go away.Even when you don't feel your best, you must still give your best!
hurt?", "is my knee aching?" or "am I getting a cold?" Don't worry - when you out-sprint another runner to the finish, somehow, that all seems to go away.Even when you don't feel your best, you must still give your best!
4) Before your races try to relax (relax??). Yes, Relax. Repeat to your self, "I'm strong, I'm fast, I'm well trained" - repeat this in your head again and again. Pretty soon you'll start to feel better. If that doesn't work, scream real loud and start to wave your arms. You won't run any faster, but you'll definitely feel better.
5) The 1st half of a race, most run poorly. Some go out too fast, some too slow, and some are skilled enough to get it just right. Understand - the success of your race isn't determined by how you start, but how you finish. It's the 2nd half that counts. The track season is a race itself, so finish strong.
6) After your performance, assess what you did well. Under-achieving athletes ALWAYS focus on what they did wrong. High achieving athletes often focus on what went right and can't wait to repeat it. Even in a less than optimal performance, always find what you did correct, and focus on that!
7) If you choose to focus on what went wrong, here is what you can do: Make 2 lists, the 1st list is of the things that you can control, while the 2nd list is of the things you can't control. Throw the 2nd list out. Now take a look at what you're left with. That's where your work lies!
I've never finished a run and thought, that was a waste of time.
"i totally agree!!! oh and i also found this article..."
Race Day Preparation (for the High School Track Athlete)
by Coach Frank Pucher
by Coach Frank Pucher
High School Track Runners basically fall into 2 categories: Sprinters & Distance Runners. First, let's define each category.
Sprinters, A Runner who competes in events ranging from 100meters - 400meters. During an Indoor Track Season, a sprinter may compete in a 60yd or 60m race. This event isn't contested during the Outdoor Season. Typically, due to the duration of these events a competitor may compete in several events during a Meet. For example, one may compete in a 400m race and later return for a 200m race. If called upon, the athlete might also compete in another sprint race such as a 4x 400m relay. Sometimes, sprinters are also Hurdlers or Jumpers (as the explosive nature of a Sprinter is needed in these more technical disciplines.) Due to the scheduling of events however, it is rare that someone would compete in a 100m, 200m & 400m in the same meet.
Generally, a Track Runner needs a 15-18 minute warm-up to prepare to race well. It's what the athlete does in that time period that varies by category/event.
For a Sprinter here is a typical warm-up: 6-8 minutes of light running, 3-4 minutes of drills (to increase Range of Motion) such as skips, butt snaps, and fast feet/high knees. Another 5 minutes will be spent with a series of sprints/strides of about 40-60m @ Race Pace. Adequate recovery and stretching in between is a must. The sprinter may adjust the distance and speed of the drills/strides according to the race being run. Between the warm-up and the race the athlete should stay loose and switch into Spikes or Racing Shoes. How Long Before A Race Do I Begin My Warm-Up? Approximately, 25-30 minutes.
If I Have 2 Races, Do I Have To Warm-Up Again? Yes, just do ½ the usual warm-up routine! After your events, it is very important that you cool-down properly. Even though you may be done competing for the day and feeling tired, the cool-down is the 1st thing you can do to get ready for your next race. The reason for the cool-down is to flush out the "toxins" that build up in your muscles during a hard race or workout. Just like the warm-up brings "fresh" blood into the muscles before a race, the cool-down takes "tired" blood away. How Long Do I Cool-Down? Here, there is little difference for Sprinters/Distance Runners; an easy jog/run of about 6-10 minutes followed by some stretching of your tight muscles is all you need. If you have another race to do, cool-down for ½ the usual routine.
If I Have 2 Races, Do I Have To Warm-Up Again? Yes, just do ½ the usual warm-up routine! After your events, it is very important that you cool-down properly. Even though you may be done competing for the day and feeling tired, the cool-down is the 1st thing you can do to get ready for your next race. The reason for the cool-down is to flush out the "toxins" that build up in your muscles during a hard race or workout. Just like the warm-up brings "fresh" blood into the muscles before a race, the cool-down takes "tired" blood away. How Long Do I Cool-Down? Here, there is little difference for Sprinters/Distance Runners; an easy jog/run of about 6-10 minutes followed by some stretching of your tight muscles is all you need. If you have another race to do, cool-down for ½ the usual routine.
Other Tips: 1) Keep some light sweats on until you switch into your Spikes or Racing Shoes. 2) Wear a T-shirt or Top until you approach the start line.
3) If there is an hour or more between events, you may consider sipping some Gatorade or possibly eating something small like a POWERBAR. If there is less than an hour between events, water alone is fine.
4) Always prepare for unpredictable weather by bringing extra socks, shirts and sweats.
The tips/suggestions I have written about are all very general. Track is a highly individual sport with each athlete having their own abilities, needs & limitations. Through trial and error you will learn failure and success. In becoming a student of this great sport you will become more than just an athlete, you will become a runner.



4 comments:
Whoa, whoa whoa...that's some serious postage there, sheesh!
I liked this post Reid! I especially like the part about the running and the jumpings and the part about the songs by the camp fire and the snuggling with your cronies...the last part was kinda yucky.
I stand alone
Inside
I stand alone
Inside
I stand alone
Inside
I stand alone
Inside. -godsmack-
D - Nut out!
what???? im extremly confused!!!!
Me too,
and I feel oddly alone as I stand here,....alone, ...standing and what not, but at least I'm inside, alone as I stand.
So, Reid, what's with you and Simon Cowell? I heard he was mean to you. Just let me know "K brudder, I will put him out in da cowd."
Sup, straight up,
Dr. E.
R-
Yo dawg. Yoo gotta take everything that comes yo way wif a little bit o salt grainz. Yo yoo know? Yoo know what it iz that I be sayin dawg. Yoo know...
Post a Comment